On Sunday I ran my last official road race of the year, The 38th RAC Tough One 32km.
I had high hopes for this one, and I finished a little disappointed. Last year I finished in 4:04, it was hard and hot and I was thrilled to finish the furthest distance to date. This year, I set myself the obvious goal of doing better than last year but I really wanted to finish in 3:30. I have met all my previous timing goals and I have been running well enough to achieve a 3:30. My training has been on track, the weather was in our favour and even tho’ the route had changed from last year, I had run the last 28km on the new route only 4 weeks before so I knew what was in store for me.
I finished in an official time of 4:45:30. Not too shabby, just not what I hoped for. I just had a bad day and I don’t even want to give voice to the reasons why because they sound like excuses.
- I finished the race and I did better than last year
- The weather was cool and overcast
- I enjoyed the shady route and I was happy that there wasn’t the 4km slog up Main Road
- I enjoyed the well-stocked and well-manned water points, especially the Morningside Runners at 29km which is where I pulled myself together
I did learn
- Not to let rude runners get to me
- Make sure I don’t drink unless I am thirsty
- I enjoy running with company and there are more nice runners than rude ones
- I know what to say to myself to turn my race around, I just need to remember to do it
- Not to rush off without collecting my “special” medal for completing both the Tough One and the 94.7 Cycle Challenge (even tho’ I am not big on medals)